Monday, August 17, 2009

Craig and Fajitas

Craig and I go way back to freshman year of college. That's like seven years ago. We've been through thick and thin. We went to Europe together back in '04. I even (mercifully) didn't murder Craig in cold blood on a train to Naples when we went several hours out of our way so Craig could visit Monte frickin' Cassino. Now Craig lives in Atlanta with David, Bump (the chihuahua) and their friend Jenn, and I never ever get to see him. But thanks to a long flight to Africa that bumped me just over the requirement for qualifying for a free flight on United, I was able to go visit Craig in his brand new house. We did all sorts of fun stuff, like swim in the Chattahoochee River, visit a GIANT farmer's market, go to the High Museum and watch the season finale to So You Think You Can Dance. We even managed to cook a few times.
I cook so often by and for myself, I forgot how nice it is to cook with people.
I took care of the chicken: chopping, marinating, making love to, etc. Craig covered the guacamole and salsa, using some of his mom's Tastefully Simple tricks. Craig finished it off by sauteing the chicken and serving it up, while I whined about a cut on my foot to David who was plesantly simpathetic.
Chicken Fajitas: serves 4, from Food and Wine
2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 green bell pepper, also cut into strips
1/2 onion, sliced and separated into similarly sized slices
1 tablespoon cornstarch (we actually used flour)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup water
juice from 1/2 a lime
olive oil
grated cheese, sour cream, salsa and/or guacamole to garnish

In a resealable plastic bag, toss, chicken, vegetables, spices, flour and water. Place in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes to marinate. Remove from fridge and saute on stovetop on medium heat using olive oil. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Serve with warmed fajitas and cheese, sour cream, salsa and guac to garnish.

No comments: