Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cabbage Sauvignon


I go to a weekly Bible study hosted by my friends' Aaron and Laura. The group gets together a bit early to share a meal together every week. We rotate the cooking schedule so that two people bring a main dish and a handful of others bring sides. It's a nice change to share a meal and hang out with a group of up to 30 people (sometimes), it's also a challenge to know how much to bring. I'll admit, I've brought grocery store cookies a number of times. I've also completely smoked out Aaron and Laura's kitchen/broken one of their stovetop burners--how embarassing.

They're all very kind when I bring things I've never eaten before to test out on them. I was particularly nervous about this cabbage. I know it can be testy, but here's what happened when I came in the door (late) last night. Aaron stood up and said, "Are you hungry? (Yes) That cabbage was a hit. (Phew) Is that a brooch?"


I can't tell you what a blessing it has been to meet with a group of light-hearted folks who love to eat. And an even greater blessing is knowing there are people praying for me. The Lord knows I need it all the time, but I've been in greater need of encouragement and prayer these past few months.


Warm Cabbage Salad: from 101 Cookbooks
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 good glugs olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 of a red cabbage, chopped
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 to 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/4 to 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 to 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Roast the pine nuts by heating in a dry skillet on medium heat. Stir nuts around. Once lightly browned, add the sugar, stirring until it melts and coats the pine nuts. Remove pine nuts to a plate, separate the nuts because they will dry and stick together.

Pour some olive oil onto the skillet on medium heat. Saute the onion for a minute or two, then toss in the garlic and cabbage. Season with salt and pepper and saute for a minute or two, just until the cabbage softens a bit. Remove it from the heat and place in serving dish. Season with rosemary and vinegar, while adding the pomegranates and cheese. Add more salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: