Friday, April 9, 2010

Slow Roast This

It seems the only cooking I have time for these days involves frying and egg or slow roasting. Yes, slow roasting so I can leave things on the stove, head to happy hour at Dario's and return to homemade chicken stock a few hours later. I'm barely treading water, yet I somehow manage to make chicken stock. It seemed like such a waste to throw away a perfectly good carcass (I love that word). I had planned on adding this to a vegetarian lentil stew for a party tomorrow, but the chicken stock would make it, you know, not vegetarian. Details.

Chicken Stock: by Barefoot Contessa
1 pound chicken (she recommends whole chicken, whatever, I used used the leftovers)
1 onion, unpeeled and quartered
3 carrots, unpeeled and halved
2 stalks celery, with leaves cut in thirds
1 garlic clove, unpeeld and halved
1 tablespoon dry parsley
1 teapsoon dry thyme
salt and pepper

Toss all that crap in a big ol' pot. Fill with water. Boil, reduce heat to a simmer and let stew for 4 hours. Pour through a strainer and reserve the liquid, throwing the vegetables away.

No comments: