Monday, March 7, 2011

Amaretto Biscotti

I had three days off in a row last week. Three. It was nice. I slept, kind of a lot actually. I didn't even cook anything on my days off until Sunday evening when I was home alone. I almost drove to Noodles and Company but committed to making two of my favorites, my old standbys. One is a Giada de Laurentiis pasta recipe combining Italian sausage, artichokes, roasted tomatoes and parmesan cheese (so all things delicious). The other is the amaretto biscotti I found in a Gourmet magazine issue several years ago.
 
Biscotti are like cookies for adults, to be dunked in coffee instead of milk. This version of biscotti isn't too hard at all, not that I mind much the crunch. Dunking still leaves little remnants in the cup, saved for the last slurp. I use amaretto liqueur instead of kirsch because it's cheaper, also it reminds me of my early days of drinking. At 21, amaretto sours were just about all my friends and I could handle. That and midori sour. Those were our "adult" drinks after the too-early days of drinking Smirnof Ice, yikes. Now amaretto's only use in my house is in baked goods. Maybe once I'm in my 30s I'll start using kirsch brandy and drinking whiskey with ice (that seems a long way off).
 
The recipe is easy with almost no cleanup. And these beauts are addicting.
 
Amaretto Biscotti: makes 18
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
3 eggs
1 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
 
Preheat oven to 350. In a bowl, stir together sugar, butter, liqueur and extracts. Add the eggs and stir to combine. Add the almonds. Stir in the remaining dry ingredients until everything just comes together. Turn out on a baking sheet and mold into two logs that are eight to ten inches long, three inches wide and one or so inches thick. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and let cool a bit. Slice into one-inch thick pieces and bake again for 20 to 25 minutes.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Do you have amaretto substitute suggestions? My liqueurs consist of orange, cherry, and raspberry (for chocolate truffles) so I don't think they'd be appropriate.

Lainey Seyler said...

all would be great with chocolate. amaretto is cherry plus almond, so i would say cherry. but for chocolate truffles i would go with orange or raspberry first because they're less sweet. it'll make a nice contrast with the chocolate.

Maria said...

Thanks for the tips! I did cherry white chocolate truffles which were amazing except for the fact that white chocolate has too much fat (?) so they didn't hold their shape well. I'll try making the biscotti with cherry next week. Thanks!

Maria said...

I didn't get a chance to make these until this morning. I used my Kirschwasser. They're amazing! After I sliced them, I put the pieces on one cut side, baked for 15 minutes, flipped to the other cut side, and baked for another 10-15 minutes.