Friday, April 30, 2010

I'd Probably Dress Up in You

Yesterday, I saw that it got up to 84 degrees on one of those bank thermometers: I love it. Love it. Can't get enough of it. Soon enough people are going to start whining about how hot it is, but not me. I'll gladly bask in the sun on a sweltering day. We've got glorious things like popsicles, ice cream, cold beer, sun dresses, salads and swimming pools--all ready to make the heat fun.

By the time lacrosse practice was over, you could see the thunderhead rolling in. I pulled into the driveway and immediatly heard that our downstairs neighbor's air conditioner rattling. I thought, "ah how foolish, it's going to rain and cool off by 10 tonight." It happened before that. It started raining around 8, but the fire display didn't really kick into gear until later when you could swear for a minute or two you were enveloped in the cloud and only luck was keeping you from electricution. It's strangely so soothing: the beat of the rain, the clang of thunder and flashbulb of light. Ah yes, amid oil spills and mine explosions, at least God working as Mother Nature is consistent. You can't stop the rain.

Now that I've discovered a light and tangy (I hate that word) dressing, I predict this will be the summer of salads. The radishes were the best part of this medley. I never used to like them arranged whole with a side of ranch dressing--it's like a bitter bite of garlic. But sliced in this medley, it was just enough. Next time I would have used feta cheese instead of parmesan, and I would have been more mindful of my fingers when running the radishes up and down the side of a grater, but no blood was spilled in the making of this salad.
Cucumber-radish Salad:
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
5 radishes, sliced
1 green onion
handful almond slices
feta cheese crumbles
turkey

Slice the vegetables. Toss together with dressing. Enjoy.