Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cloudy With a Chance of Grilled Cheese.

I went to my mom's today for lunch and a short therapy session (that is a joke because it's true). She made the best grilled cheese sandwich, EVER. I don't even know why I try to cook, my mom already does it so well. I could still (hypothetically) go over to her place for every meal.
And today could not have been a more perfect day for such creature comforts as grilled cheese and tomato soup. Driving to work, the fog on the interstate was as thick as pea soup (reference to another great mom moment, the children's book Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs). For a moment near the 72nd Street exit, the cloud parted and I saw sky blue sky above only to plunge once again into grey grey grey. It was the sort of day you want to stay home and watch sappy romance movies.
So it seems fitting that I went home for a one-hour lunch break. Both the dog and the cat greeted me upon arrival--much more enthusiastically on the part of the dog. And my mom immdiately handed me sun tea spiked with mint herbs. It was just a kick of freshness, a remant of summer.
She used Rotella's sandwich bread, made at their factory just up the street. And with plain ole cheddar cheese and summer's best tomato, she crafted my sandwich. Gosh, the cheese just melted over the sides of the tangy tomato. (There is no replacement for quality ingredients, like this tomato that came from my mom's garden). And there were steamed snap peas with warm tomato soup. I'm mad I didn't take a photo as the food was so colorful--something my mom always strives for in her dishes.
And she gave me cookies. Mint-chocolate chip cookies. She always makes them so soft and chewy; I didn't even need milk.

No comments: