Thursday, February 26, 2009

I Am Now a Meatloaf Lover

I went to my parents' on Sunday to finish up my taxes (and play Dance Dance Revolution with my sister). "So what's for lunch?" Mom said, "Meatloaf." Imagine a full balloon's air being released while it flies around the room. There aren't many things I don't like to eat, but I hate meatloaf. "Mom, I would do anything for love, but I won't eat that." It's the consistency and the ketchup and the blandness, and yuck. According to Wikipedia, meatloaf is one of the most popular dishes in the country, and I think, "God, we have such bad taste." Well, I take it back. I take it all back. My mom, inspired by a segment on NPR (can't remember which), improvised a new take on the Depression-era dish. Apparently, it helps to think of meatloaf as one giant Italian meatball. So this was meaty and packed with flavor. No ketchup necessary.

The Best Meatloaf Ever: 1/2 medium onion, chopped 1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced 1 red pepper, chopped 1/2 pound ground hamburger 1/2 pound Italian sausage (Craig, here's the key to why you love my mom's spaghetti and why you'll love this meatloaf) 1 egg 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs salt and pepper to taste 1 teaspoon oregano 1/4 cup tomato sauce with Italian seasoning (basil, parsley and oregano) Italian loaf parmasan cheese slices Saute the onion, garlic and red pepper.

Preheat the oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg and then throw in the sauteed vegetables, meat, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and oregano. With your hands mix it all up. Form a log (gross) with the meat, sort of like how you would with meatballs. Pour the sauce on top of the log and sprinkle with parmasan cheese. Bake for 1 hour.

My mom improvised this open-faced sandwich. So buy your Italian loaf and throw it in the oven with the meatloaf for a few minutes. Slice the bread hot-dog-style (long ways). Place meatloaf on bread and adorn with parmasan cheese slices. Consider yourself converted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom and I think alike, sort of. Two nights ago I made chicken meatballs. I forgot to add onion but I did have the garlic, bread crumbs, ground meat (chicken), egg, and oregano. I ate them over pasta with sauce and mushrooms. I imagine the meatloaf is equally delicious. For those of you non-beef eaters, I bet this would also taste good with ground chicken or turkey!

Lainey Seyler said...

ok, maria, what is with your meat aversion? chicken but nothing else. you must explain.

Anonymous said...

First, meat in general grosses me out. I end up "trimming" half the chicken before I cook it. When I was younger (early teens I think), my brother and sister used to make cow noises ("moooo") when we had beef. It freaked me out so I stopped eating it. I didn't try it again for years, and now I don't like the taste or texture. In the past few years I have tried duck, ground beef (in lasagna), deer, pork, hot dogs, and pepperoni. Oh, and some sort of steak-like thing cooked on the grill when I was in Germany. I felt sick all night/the next day. I didn't like any of them. The only reason I ate chicken was for my parents. I like it but I hate cooking it.

lindsey baker said...

Maria, that sort of thing happens for vegetarians--when a meat is re-introduced, sickness inevitably follows. Though, having been veg for six years now, I do oddly miss a steak every now and then. But I could never go back--the moo messes with my heart. :)

Lainey, my mom used to make an excellent meatloaf I really loved when I was little. She put French-cut green beans in the middle, and that made all the difference.

And PS, choice use of Meat Loaf. Yes. Rawk.

Lainey Seyler said...

woah, french cuts beans, eh? intriguing.