Sunday, June 7, 2009

No Knead Bread

In Africa, we had freshly baked bread every night for dinner. Hot off the campfire. The cooks/chefs were so skilled at making bread, they didn't even need an oven. I, on the other hand, am a complete failure when it comes to baking yeast breads. I am notoriously impatient, and yeast bread is unforgiving and uncompromising. It is one thing in the kitchen with which I can't meet in the middle. It always turns out hard, small, undercooked or burnt, or some combination of all three--burnt on the outside, doughy on the inside. My compromise is to give up for the time being. Instead, I made this whole wheat quick bread with sultanas to go with my soup last week. It was just barely sweet, making it a perfect combination for the savory soup. When my mom makes soup, she often pairs it with blueberry tea bread or banana bread. Bread and soup have a fond place in my heart.
Brick Alley Bread: from Better Homes and Gardens 2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup raisins (or sultanas as I used)
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg white, whisked

Pre-heat oven to 350. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together egg, honey and buttermilk. Then add raisins and stir. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture, stirring until just moistened. On a greased baking sheet, turn out dough. Using hands form into an eight-inch circle that is of even thickness (about 3 inches). Brush dough with egg white. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until edge is golden, and it has been cooked through.

1 comment:

Jess said...

no yeast? i'll try it.