Sunday, September 13, 2009

Scones for President

I don't like how messy scones are to make. Which, now that I write that, seems counter to my cooking personality. But there's soggy dough stuck in every crack on my dry hands after kneading. And I always forget to take off my rings before digging into stuff like this. But for once the scones were worth the effort. This recipe is so biscuit-y, and I mean that in the best way. The jam was the perfect topper, if a bit too sweet.
Scottish Scones: from Orangette 2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick cold, unsalted butter
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 or 2 cups of raisins
1/2 cup half-and-half--I substituted yogurt mixed with some milk
1 large egg Preheat oven to 425. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together using your fingers--this was according to directions in A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg and I really liked the technique. Add the sugar and butter, continue mixing with your hands until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a separet, smaller bowl, whisk together yogurt and egg (adding some orange peel here would be tasty). Pour wet mixture into large bowl, stir with a spatula until dough is moistened. Turn dough out on a floured surface. Knead five or six times, being careful not to overwork. Spread out, using your hands, into a circle about 1-inch thick. Cut into 8 pieces of even thickness and equal size. Arrange on a baking sheet. Brush with milk. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden.

No comments: