Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Creature Comfort


Right now I'm enjoying day 2 of being snowed in. How often does it happen in adulthood that snow shuts down one-and-a-half days of work? (That should give you a hint as to how bad the snow is here in Omaha.)

My boss woke me up this morning at 7:45 a.m. I thought it was my alarm and hung up on him. He forgave me and told me not to brave the cold or the unplowed streets. I was jumping around like a kid while Meg took a shower and got ready to dig out her car. We made a solid effort at getting her out, but her wheels spun and spun. Hours later, the neighborhood still isn't plowed, and neither is most of our driveway. So methinks I shall stay bundled up under a fleece blanket, writing more, reading more, and perhaps watching Little Women.

This pasta would be the perfect lunch if only I had any bacon left: It's homey, salty, crunchy. Everything you need when the windchill is -18 and the snow in the driveway passes the one-foot mark.
Macaroni with bacon, parm and butter: from Orangette
Boil some salted water to make the pasta (cook until pasta is tender but crisp to the bite). Cook your bacon. Drain your pasta. Melt a small knob of butter with the macaroni and season with salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon on top and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve.

No comments: