Sunday, December 20, 2009

Magic Mushrooms


I've taken quite a turn from my childhood loathing of mushrooms to today. A dish similar to this mushroom-laden toast was what first converted me. My mom occasionally made toast slathered in cream cheese with sauteed mushrooms pressed firmly into the cheese. I suspect what I actually liked was the cheese on toast and the mushrooms were only tolerable.

This meal -- as it was an entire meal -- encapsulates what I love about cooking for myself. I have complete permission to make myself a meal of buttered toast with a pile of mushrooms on it and call it a night.


Mushrooms and Toast: from Smitten Kitchen
big handful mushrooms
big garlic clove
2 pieces of toast
butter for the toast
about 1 tablespoon butter for sauteeing the shrooms
a good glug or two of marsala cooking wine

Chop the shrooms up into tiny bits and mince the garlic. In a skillet, melt the butter. Toss in the shrooms and minced garlic. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until the wine has reduced. Turn off heat and let sit for a few minutes to let it thicken.

Meanwhile, pop the bread in the toaster. Butter. Top with sauteed mushrooms. Serves 1.

No comments: