Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth

I know complaining about the weather is the cliche thing to do, but who's not getting their ass kicked by winter right about now? It snowed another inch yesterday, and at this point (after I got in a weather-related car accident and have shoveled probably half a ton of snow from my driveway), an inch is just a blip in this never-ending winter. My friend Lindsey and I were going over albums that belong to winter. There's the obvious Bon Iver (which means "good winter") For Emma Forever Ago. Then we both agreed Radiohead In Rainbows was a nice winter album. Stars Up in Your Bedroom After the War, holy crap the title song is leaf-less trees, brown grass and slushy dirt roads somehow made lovely. St. Vincent's self-titled I would put in winter. I think White Stripes Icky Thump, MGMT Oracular Spectacular and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs It's Blitz would make a good soundtrack to long and dark winter nights.

The only thing I can to fight off the winter blues is to make pasta (I'm only kidding myself with the green broccolini in this dish), drink red wine and wear my house slippers outside the house. I cooked the broccolini according to Julia Child's blanching instructions--she was right, they turned out crunchy and extra green. And woah this pasta is garlicky--no complaints here.

This morning, all this thought of snow and car accidents and earthquakes reminded me of Neko Case's version of Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth.

Do you have any winter songs?
Pasta with broccoli rabe and goat cheese: from Saveur
1 bunch broccoli rabe aka rapini (or regular broccoli or broccolini)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
12 ounces orchiette or whatever medium-size pasta shape you can find
salt and pepper
goat cheese

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Coarsely chop the broccolini and then toss it in the boiling water for four minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, saving the water. Immediately, run cold water over the broccolini to stop it from cooking.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes until golden brown, toss in the chili flakes and saute for another minute. Toss in the broccolini, stirring to coat and then immediately remove the skillet from the heat.

Meanwhile, bring your pot of water back to a boil and cook your pasta until it's al dente. Drain the water and toss the pasta in with the broccolini and garlic, stirring to combine. Serve topped with a dollop of mild and creamy goat cheese and seasoned with salt and pepper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get your broccoli raab? I haven't seen any this year, but I've been avoiding lingering at Whole Foods for budgetary reasons and may have just missed it...

Lainey Seyler said...

i actually found it at hy-vee. this is actually broccolini, apparently there's a difference, but i think it's closer to broccoli rabe than to broccoli--the stalks are the same. the broccolini was in pretty good shape too, not limp at all.

Jess said...

oh, no wonder Bon Iver is so incredible in wintertime.
I agree on that count, and Neko Case. and Radiohead, for that matter. one winter my favorite album was Jose Gonzales' "Veneer" which was perfect because I spent a lot of time being cozy and drinking eggnog.

and I SO know what you mean about eating pasta to keep from falling into deep depression.