Tuesday, June 22, 2010

In the Heat of Summer

Last night, I sat on the porch and watched the sun go down on the longest day of the year while turning pages in a book that I am actually reading for pleasure. That tree kind of blocks the view, but the pink-purple-blue-yellow streaks of cloud still peaked through. We get some of the best sunsets in the Midwest.

Last summer was a season of live music and cold salads. (I cannot wait for the tomatoes to ripen.) This year I think it will be a summer of outdoor adventures and (somewhat) spicy Mexican cuisine--I'm kind of a baby when it comes to heat. I've already embarked with friends on several biking adventures. However, those may be put on hold for a couple reasons, one being that I ran over my own bicycle and bent the front wheel so badly it won't rotate all the way around. My friend just gave my bike a marvelous tuneup last week. For one glorious ride, my bike shifted gears with ease and made barely a squeak. But Sunday I was in a hurry and pulled out of my garage packed with three bikes and a stupid lacrosse goal (that dang lacrosse goal). My mirror hit the handlebar of my bike and knocked it over and I just kept driving. I didn't actually run it over per se, but jammed it between the wall and my car. You know those times when maybe you walk out of the house with like 10 things in your arms and you're already late for work and then you drop something and instead of picking it up again you just kick it because you're annoyed--that's pretty much what I did to my bike. I am such an idiot.
So far nothing has spoiled my summer of Mexican food. I plan to fully embrace my discovery of the hot pepper and queso with a diversity of cooking. Or maybe I'll just remain content with an easy tortilla dish. I thought for sure I already shared this chili-chicken recipe on here, but I can't find it. It's got to be on this blog somewhere because this is one of the first things I really cooked for myself and kept cooking. I got the recipe from Weight Watchers who recommends cooking the chicken in Pam's light cooking spray. Now that I'm completely off that healthy kick, I douse with olive oil--the "heart-healthy" oil.

Chili Chicken Tortillas: serves 4
2 chicken breasts/thighs whatever, just cubed
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
big dash seasoned salt
dash pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika

Toss uncooked chicken in a bowl of flour, chili powder, seasoned salt, pepper and paprika. Cook in a saute pan with olive oil until the chicken is cooked through. You might need to experiment with the seasonings on this to your preference. Serve in a tortilla garnished with whatever you've got that might go with Mexican food (i.e. cheese, peppers, salsa, tomatoes, sour cream and so on).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds good, I'll try it. mom

Jess said...

love that book!
and you're right - some of the best sunsets of my life have been in the midwest. thanks, midwest!