Monday, July 5, 2010

Oatmeal Raisin with Honey

I haven't made cookies in ages. I think summer is too hot for them. In fact, these oatmeal raisins were so soft and gooey and the weather has been equally soft and gooey that the mass of them just melted together to form one giant cookie. To eat them, you had to pull off little chunks of goodness bit by bit.

I actually made them for a friend who tuned up my bike (before I ran it over). Then that friend got hit by a drunken driver whilst on his bike, so the cookies served a dual purpose: thank you and get well soon. I don't know how much he appreciates baked goods, but I think time has told that nothing can heal broken bones, broken hearts or broken spirits much like a homemade baked good, especially those dunked in cold milk.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies: from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 sticks softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey (Martha suggested syrup)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 325. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium until light and fluffy. Add the honey and blend again. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in two batches and beat until just combined. Add the oats and raisins and mix briefly until combined. Arrange on baking sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

2 comments:

Megan said...

: ) i'll take one batch of homemade cookies to heal my broken ankle, thank you.

Maria said...

How is your bike doing these days? I hope your friend recovers quickly and the drunk driver is punished!